|Many things come with marriage; mine came a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. It's a nice little soccer-mom SUV that throughout its first 70,000 miles, gave us no problems
whatsoever. But like all vehicles, eventually stuff happens. Here's a little summary of that stuff.
Bad oil pressure switch
When the switch goes, so does a lot of oil. The switch is buried under the intake manifold, so
when the seal in the switch broke loose, it flooded the "valley" where the intake sits. Excess
oil ends up here:
To get to the switch, the intake manifold has to come off. The manifold is buried under the
"surge tank". There are about 20 electronic sensors that have to be disconnected to get at
the manifold and remove it.
|Here's a pic with the intake manifold removed:
Below is the intake manifold, after removing the surge tank. I have a bootleg copy of the
Santa Fe service manual, which recommended a lot more things come off the engine than
what was totally necessary. This is as far as I had to go to get access to the intake manifold.
The service manual recommended removing the coolant pipe. It gets in the way of the oil
pressure switch, but I found a way to get a 24mm socket on the switch.
When I first heard that I would have to take off the intake manifold, I was not very excited.
After doing this twice to replace the lower intake gaskets on both my 1996 GMC Sonoma and
my 2004 Chevy Blazer, I figured the Santa Fe project would take a couple days. But
thankfully, it was much, much easier. The GM 4.3L V-6 engines require the distributor to be
removed, which requires that the timing be set correctly when the distributor goes back in.
The 4.3's also have very tight clearance on the forward side of the manifold, which requires
certain bolts to be removed or loosened on various engine components.
None of this was required on the Santa Fe. If I did this project again, I could probably knock it
out in a couple hours. However, I would have to say I was a little disappointed that the oil
pressure switch wasn't covered under the 100,000 mile power train warranty. Apparently,
anything attached to a wire isn't considered part of the power train..regardless of how much
oil is spewing out of your engine. The local Hyundai dealer wanted $935 to fix it, which
included replacing a couple of parts that I don't believe were necessary. I did it for $16 and
about 5 hours of my time. Not a bad trade-off.