|Above: After the death of Albert's father, his mother sued pretty much everyone who had
anything to do with the alcohol he drank before he was burned. The above article appeared in
the Dixon Evening Telegraph on September 17, 1904. The article on the right appeared in the
Freeport Daily Journal on February 21, 1905.
|Above: The B&O Brewery was located on
Jackson Street, near Adams Avenue, in
Freeport. Above is a photo of kegs loaded
for delivery around 1900. Research by
Harvey Wilhelms, as described in the
October 11, 2009 edition of the Freeport
Journal-Standard, indicates that the brewery
was founded and operated by a succession
of Bavarians, including Henry Baier.
|Above: In 1929, Albert advertised his closing out sale in the Freeport Journal-Standard. This was his
first exit from farming. He probably opened his grocery store in Rock City shortly after this.
|Left: An early photo of Albert Kraul
and his classmates at the
Centennial Public School in 1908.
Albert is in the front row, third from
left. This school was located in
Rock Run Township. Most
references to Centennial School
point to Florence Township, just
west of Freeport. This one was
located at the southeast corner of
the Cedarville Road and Farwell
Bridge Road intersection. The land
around the school was owned by
William Spellman, who was on the
school board when Albert Kraul
attended. Charles Nath and William
Dailey were also nearby
landowners and school board
(Info source and credit)
|Above: When Prohibition ended, the United States opened its tankards once again. Albert Kraul was the first in Rock City to open a tavern. Kraul's Tavern is
shown in this totally awesome advertisement for Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in the October 23, 1934 edition of the Freeport Journal-Standard. A few names below
Kraul's Tavern is Tim Meyers of Dakota, Illinois. This is probably Ransom "Tim" Meier, who owned our house prior to Albert Kraul and lived in Dakota in
1934. Tim operated a roadhouse called Shan-T-Town on Illinois Route 75, southwest of Dakota.
Side note: The village of Dakota voted to ban the sale of alcohol in April 1939. Dakota is a dry town today.
|Above: Albert and Margaret are buried together in the Saint Paul's Epplyanna Cemetery.
Left: This advertisement for Albert Kraul's farm assets appeared in the January 26, 1949 edition of the
|The Kraul grocery store was located in this building, on the northeast corner of Main and Market Streets in downtown Rock City.